Saturday, March 11, 2006

Neil Young with Linda and/or Nicolette(2)Old Man

This is a 2nd post of Neil Young with Linda and/or Nicolette. "Old Man" in Harvest" was played by fine banjo and steel guitar and Young's vocal was excellent.

New Musical Express, 2/12/1972 "Neil Young's Harvest - Exclusive track-by-track review by Rob Drysdale said;

"Old Man (3.22): One of the best produced tracks, with brilliant banjo and steel guitar. The song was inspired by an old man who lives on Young's ranch: "Old man look at my life/I'm a lot like you were." Familiar themes of loneliness and lost love are also present: "Live alone in a paradise that makes me think of two" recalled with a certain pain "love lost/such a cost/give me things that don't get lost." Yet he is still searching for a heart of gold: "I need someone to love me the whole day through/Oh one look in my eyes and you can tell that's true." James Taylor and Linda Ronstadt again provide backing vocals."

Jonny Rogan had an interview with Young in Music Center in Los Angels on Feb 1, 1971. Young talked about "Old Man";

"This song is written about my ranch. I moved to northern California and bought a ranch. An old man was there. He worked for former ranch owner. About 70 years old. He cannot work like he used to 40 years ago. He lives but he is like a dead man. I wrote somthing like that"

This is in "NEIL YOUNG:The Definitive Story of his Musical Career" by Jonny Rogan in 1982, but I have only Japanese version, so actual sentences could be different. Anyway this song was written after his purchase of a ranch in Woodside, California, near San Francisco. I have visited Woodside during my stay in Norther Califronia from 1999 to 2002. Woodside is very small and beautiful town. It is said numbers of cows are more than numbers of people who live in the town.

By the way Linda Ronstatd. Linda Ronstatd and James Taylor were on backing vocal again, same as "Heart Of Gold". Their harmony was always excellent.

Old Man by Neil Young
-----
Old man look at my life,
I'm a lot like you were.
Old man look at my life,
I'm a lot like you were.

Old man look at my life,
Twenty four and there's so much more
Live alone in a paradise
That makes me think of two.

Love lost, such a cost,
Give me things that don't get lost.
Like a coin that won't get tossed
Rolling home to you.

Old man take a look at my life i'm a lot like you
I need someone to love me the whole day through
Ah, one look in my eyes and you can tell that's true.

Lullabies, look in your eyes,
Run around the same old town.
Doesn't mean that much to me
To mean that much to you.

I've been first and last
Look at how the time goes past.
But i'm all alone at last.
Rolling home to you.

Old man take a look at my life i'm a lot like you
I need someone to love me the whole day through
Ah, one look in my eyes and you can tell that's true.

Old man look at my life,
I'm a lot like you were.
Old man look at my life,
I'm a lot like you were.

No comments: